Neighbor rattled by garish paint job


Neighbor rattled by garish paint job

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – April 23, 2015 – Question: We live in a nice neighborhood, and recently a neighbor a few doors away painted his house a garish yellow and purple. I am considering selling my home, and my real estate broker is telling me that the horror house is pulling down my property value. Is there anything I can do? – Victor

Answer: This should be an easy fix if you live in a homeowner's association. If the color scheme is in violation, speak to the board of directors about getting the home in compliance.

If you don't live within a planned community, check your city and county codes to see if the condition of the home constitutes a nuisance. You may be able to get your local government's help, especially if the house is not being cared for. Still, the local governing body rarely will be able to step in for simple matters of taste.

Meanwhile, look into ways of minimizing the effect of your situation. Consider planting a row of shrubs or putting up a fence to block the view from your yard. Also, you could point out to potential buyers that you live in a neighborhood with creative and fun people and that owners have the freedom to decorate their homes as they wish. That may appeal to certain buyers not interested in "cookie cutter" homes and architectural approval boards that many homeowner's associations have.

Finally, get a second opinion on the value of your house. If the yellow and purple property is well maintained otherwise, it may not have as much of an effect as you think.

About the writer: Gary M. Singer is a Florida attorney and board-certified as an expert in real estate law by the Florida Bar. He is the chairperson of the Real Estate Section of the Broward County Bar Association and is an adjunct professor for the Nova Southeastern University Paralegal Studies program.

The information and materials in this column are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in this column is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Copyright © 2015 Sun Sentinel, Gary M. Singer. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.  

Related Topics: Legal

Ready to live the Florida Dream? Contact me or call (239) 851-3861 to get started!

Serving Southwest Florida including Collier and Lee Counties, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach, Alva, North Fort Myers, Estero, Bonita Springs, Naples, Vanderbilt, Sanibel, and Captiva.